Monday, July 9, 2007

Course Correction?

Lots of reporting over the past few days about more Republicans jumping ship on Iraq. There have been several articles from the Post and others talking about potential for withdrawal. Iraq has yet to meet any of its political benchmarks. What's the proper course of action? Read yesterday that W is lowering the bar for expectations, something that's been happening from the very beginning. It will be interesting to see McCain's position after he returns from Iraq...I'm betting that he'll abandon the President. He's got to do something to salvage his campaign.

I think this NY Times editorial is spot-on.

3 comments:

Kareneff said...

I totally agree with the Times editorial. This was a war of choice stupidly begun, stupidly agreed to and horrendously executed by a ban of triumphalist neo-conservatives that has already turned us against ourselves. We are not the world's policemen and we are not its lords and masters. It will take a generation to repair the damage. It will take a generation for the conservative movement to rescue itself from what Vic Gold calls "the neocons and the theocons" who have almost singlehandedly destroyed conservatism.

I am a liberal. I believe that a strong and healthy conservative movement is essential to the well-being of every liberal idea any of us can muster because real conservatives keep us grounded. I want conservatism back.

Louis Winthorpe III said...

Not to put you on the Spot, Kareneff, but how did you stumble onto this blog? Are you a friend of Mr. Mike Goldwater?

Louis Winthorpe III said...

I'm a "Goldwater Libertarian" and I also believe the GOP is not acting very conservative as of late. They have been very big-government in my opinion.